Tuesday 16 April 2013

New life for an old shirt (project)

I have these pink shirts that stretched into shapeless rags. I have been taking them apart in my head for a while; I love the colour, the fabric, and the print, but couldn't think of a way to make it work in a doll garment. Now I know what I want to do with this:

I have a worse shirt. After I took the pictures, sure enough, I found the larger size at the bottom of my laundry basket >.<
The fabric is a very thin cotton knit, perfect for dolls. I looked around for ways to incorporate some of the design, too, and it was always too big for doll scale. Until I remembered that there was a smaller one in the back...

I grabbed my victim to test the size:


Ta-da! Perfect fit for my idea!

I recently heard hubby say that he finds Soviet schoolgirl uniforms pretty (well, he only says that because he never wore one!). These torture garments consist of an incredibly rough and itchy brown woolen dress and a white or black pinafore. My memories of this got buried deep with my uniform when I changed schools. I had completely forgotten about the existence of pinafores until hubby's statement.

That's what my girls need - a pinafore! I can't believe I ignored this fun and versatile piece of clothing for so long. But I will fix my mistake - that "love me" patch will be the apron of a pinafore for Draculaura. I want to trim it with black tulle or stiff lace and layer it over some full skirt. This look reminds me of Amy Lee's Malice in Wonderland dress. I think it will be very nice.

What do you think? Who's with me in this project?

3 comments:

  1. tu nu dormi noptile, vad eu. toate is postate dupa 12pm. dimineata pana la cat dormi? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a plan to me.

    ReplyDelete

Brighten up my day with your comment ;) It will mean a lot to me.
Open to anyone, including anonymous.